Basics Mathematics B
Mathematics A, B and C are based on calculations using numbers and symbols. This course familiarises you with the basic skills which are needed during the mathematics B course. Everyone using mathematics needs to master these skills. The course is useful for those with a poor background in mathematics. If it has been a while since you have enjoyed any mathematics education the course serves as an excellent refresher course. The course focuses on skills usually taught up until the final 3 years before graduating high school or obtaining A-levels.
- Many contact hours
- Inspiring and experienced teachers
- Extra support in Study Lab
- Junior-teachers from Utrecht University
- A nice venue at Utrecht Science Park
- More than 40 years of experience in access courses and exams
This course covers mathematics taught during the first few years of secondary education. The skills taught serve as a solid preparation for the Mathematics B course.
This Basics Mathematics B course is offered before the start of the VWO Mathematics B courses.
Keep in mind that each contact hour requires at least one hour of homework (for preparation and practice).
At the bottom of this page you will find the course schedule and sign up options.
Explanation of the theory by the teacher after which you work on exercises with the help of the teacher or an assistant.
Study hours and commitment
About 30 contact hours and 30 hours of self-study.
Active participation during the classes, making homework and preparation at home of the theory of the next class.
Next to the regular class hours, you are welcome to join Study Lab.
Study Lab is the place where you can self-study and/or ask additional questions. Minimal one lecturer will be available during Study Lab.
Study Lab gives you the opportunity to have theory explained again, or help you with additional exercises and obtaining tips of how to approach problems.
- Textbook: All you need in Maths!, authors: J.v.d. Craats & R.Bosch. ISBN: 9789043032858
- Graphing calculator from the following list:
- Texas Instruments
- 84 Plus T, OS 5.1 or higher
- 84 Plus CE-T, OS 5.1.5 or higher
- 84 Plus CE-T Python Edition, OS 5.1.5 or higher
- Nspire CX (only the version without CAS), OS 18.104.22.1682 or higher
- fx-9860GII(SD) (with exam setting) OS 2.07 or higher
- fx-CG20 (with exam setting) OS 2.01 or higher
- HP Prime (only with CAS disabled)
Older models, including those that were previously accepted, are not allowed anymore. An example is the TI 84 Plus without the addition T or CE-T.
No preliminary knowledge required.
If you have any questions about contents or admission to the course, please contact us for more information.
Attention: fulfill your registration in due time. Two weeks before the start of a course Boswell-Beta will decide upon whether the course will actually take place. A course will only take place with a sufficient number of participants.