James Boswell Course | VWO Biology (English)
Is VWO Biology an entry requirement for the degree programme you wish to pursue? Our biology courses support anyone needing biology in order to enroll in a Higher Education Institution in the Netherlands.
- Many contact hours
- Inspiring and experienced teachers
- Extra support in Study Lab
- Extra support by teaching assistants from Utrecht University.
- A modern venue at Utrecht Science Park
- More than 50 years of experience
Our course covers the Dutch VWO programme in biology required to enroll in various HE institutes in the Netherlands.
The biology course is offered in English in the spring (March and April) and in the summer (June and July). The course consists of 31 classes of 3.5 hours each, spread over 5-6 weeks.
Keep in mind that each contact hour requires at least one hour of homework (for preparation and practice), so taking the course is a full-time commitment.
- chemicals of life and enzymes
- plants (structure, transport and reproduction)
- cellular respiration
- inheritance and inherited diseases
- DNA and molecular biology of the gene
- environmental biology and applied ecology
- hormonal coordination and homeostasis
- nervous coordination
- human reproduction
- transport (in mammals)
- lungs and gaseous exchange
- nutrition and digestion
- the immune system and infectious diseases
Explanation of the theory by the teacher after which you work on exercises with the help of the teacher or an assistant.
Study hours and commitment
108 contact hours and at least 108 hours of self-study.
Active participation during the classes and doing your homework.
Next to the regular class hours, you are welcome to join Study Lab.
Study Lab is the place where you can self-study and/or ask additional questions. At least one teacher will be available during Study Lab.
- Textbook: Advanced Biology Kent second edition: ISBN 9780198392903
- BINAS-English, ed. Wolters-Noordhoff, Groningen, 5th print
- Simple calculator with logarithmic and goniometric functions. A graphing calculator is not permitted.
Sufficient basic knowledge of biology is an important ingredient for success.
Eliminate deficiencies before starting a course. If in doubt contact the biology department.
You complete the course with the James Boswell exam. You can find the exam schedule here. You are automatically registered for the exam which directly follows the course. If you are taking an exam at another time, or if you have to take a resit: register separately for this exam on the exam page.
If you are going to study medicine or dentistry, then in some cases it is necessary the take the entrance exam of the CCVX. You must register separately for this. Our courses also prepare for this exam.
Always ask the study advisor of the institution/university about the validity of the James Boswell certificate.
If you have any questions about contents or admission to the course, please contact us for more information.
Attention: fulfill your registration in due time. Two weeks before the start of a course Boswell-Beta will decide upon whether the course will actually take place. A course will only take place with a sufficient number of participants.