James Boswell Course | VWO Mathematics B (English)
Is VWO Math-B (Wiskunde B) an entry requirement for the degree program you wish to pursue? Our mathematics courses support anyone needing mathematics in order to enroll in a Higher Education Institution in the Netherlands
- Many contact hours
- Inspiring and experienced teachers
- Extra support in Study Lab
- Extra support by teaching assistants from Utrecht University.
- A modern venue at Utrecht Science Park
- More than 50 years of experience
Our course covers the Dutch VWO programme in Mathematics B required to enroll in various HE institutes in the Netherlands.
VWO Mathematics B will be offered as an intensive course in the Spring (April-May), Summer (June-July and July-August) and the Fall (October-December).
Courses have four to five classes a week (total: 20 hours / week).
Keep in mind that each contact hour requires one hour of homework (preparation and practice).
The course will prepare you for the VWO Mathematics B exam. You can consult the complete programme here.
- exponential functions and equations
- logarithmic functions and equations
- limits and asymptotes
- trigonometric functions and equations
- parametric curves
- coordinate geometry
Explanation of the theory by the teacher after which you work on exercises with the help of the teacher or an assistant.
Study hours and commitment
120 contact hours and about 120 hours of self-study. From September 2020 onward this will change to 133 contact hours and ca. 133 hours of self-study.
Active participation during the classes and doing your homework.
Next to the regular class hours, you are welcome to join Study Lab.
Study Lab is the place where you can self-study and/or ask additional questions. At least one teacher will be available during Study Lab.
- Textbook: included in the course
- Graphing calculator from the following list:
- Texas Instruments
- 84 Plus T, OS 5.1 or higher
- 84 Plus CE-T, OS 5.1.5 or higher
- 84 Plus CE-T Python Edition, OS 5.1.5 or higher
- Nspire CX (only the version without CAS), OS 18.104.22.1682 or higher
- Nspire CX II-T (version with CAS and version without CAS)
- fx-9860GII(SD) (with exam setting) OS 2.07 or higher
- fx-CG20 (with exam setting) OS 2.01 or higher
- HP Prime (only with CAS disabled)
Older models, including those that were previously accepted, are not allowed anymore. An example is the TI 84 Plus without the addition T or CE-T.
- Texas Instruments
Sufficient preliminary knowledge of mathematics is an important ingredient for success.
Eliminate deficiencies before starting a course. If you are unsure about your preliminary knowledge contact the math department.
If you need to refresh your basic math skills it is possible to start with a preliminary math course in the weeks before the full VWO course. More information can be found here.
You complete the course with the James Boswell exam. You can find the exam schedule here. You are automatically registered for the exam which directly follows the course. If you are taking an exam at another time, or if you have to take a resit: register separately for this exam on the exam page.
If you are going to study medicine or dentistry, then in some cases it is necessary the take the entrance exam of the CCVX. You must register separately for this. Our courses also prepare for this exam.
Always ask the study advisor of the institution/university about the validity of the James Boswell certificate.
If you have any questions about contents or admission to the course, please contact us for more information.
Attention: fulfill your registration in due time. Two weeks before the start of a course Boswell-Beta will decide upon whether the course will actually take place. A course will only take place with a sufficient number of participants.